Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Cornmeal-Crusted Catfish Fillets (with Video!)

It's nights like this (cold outside and nothing much to watch on TV inside) that I like to scan recipe websites for something different to try. That's when I came across tonight's feature at My Recipes...Cornmeal Crusted Catfish Fillets.

A few months ago, SC Mom shared a Cornmeal-Crusted Catfish Nuggets recipe, but this one is different, and it's taken from
Cooking Light magazine. It features Cajun seasoning and bacon drippings (yes, the old southern frying method).

I thought bacon drippings were a no-no nowadays, but you can always use a healthier cooking oil. However, that bacon really does make food extra tasty!

The neatest thing, though, is a video demonstration that goes along with the recipe. The fish is served with green beans, coleslaw with crispy bacon and roasted potatoes.

11 comments:

Emily said...

I love catfish, so I'm glad I found your blog!

This sounds really good. We do a cornmeal/flour fried catfish, at the restaurant where I work.

JANET said...

Thanks for checking out Catfish Bytes! I don't think I have tried a cornmeal/flour mixture for catfish, although I do add a little flour to when making cornbread. Can you share the recipe?

Sweet Remembrance said...

Oh Janet...this sounds yummy!
I will need to go check this out for sure!
Happy Holidays...
Priscilla

Cris said...

This sounds so yummy! I checked their recipe, and you have such great hints, all your posts are filled with so many good things to try!

BellaColle said...

Okay, now I'm hungry! I have some relative who still cook with bacon drippings! It may not look good, or be good for ya, but boy does it add good flavor!

Nunnie's Attic said...

You can never have too much bacon!

Love,
Julie

2 LMZ FARMS said...

Just dropping by for a quick visit. HMMM.... I thought everyone cooked with bacon drippings.lol My niece who is a doctor fusses at me all time because everything I cook has to have bacon drippings in it. I notice that she piles her plate full when she eats here.So much for doctors orders.lol Hope you and yours have a blessed day.
Laura

Fruity said...

I think it's time for me to eat some catfish fillet. Soft and tender flesh with crunchy bites

JANET said...

Hi y'all. I am just waiting for a research study that says bacon grease is good for you after all! Haha...don't we wish!

Cakespy said...

This sounds intensely yummy! What a nice comfort food. Perfect for where I live in Seattle, warm and toasty for cool and grey days.

JANET said...

Thanks for visiting, Cakespy! I love cake almost as much as catfish.